Thursday, April 30, 2009

ahhh nuts! back in the incubator...

Well, little Lauren Kate was doing well and looking to come home as soon as the beginning of next week but had a small set back. Nothing serious. She is just having trouble holding her body temperature on her own. This is very common in preemies. We keep having to remind ourselves that she is a preemie and that she is really at 35 weeks gestation. She just acts so much like a full term baby most of the time.

Ethan Matthew got his nasal cannula off yesterday and he looks so cute with nothing on his face but a little feeding tube. The cardiologists asked the neonatologists to take him off the oxygen support because they were trying to get his stats to look like a healthy kid but not taking into account his heart defect. Cardiologists get a better picture this way of how his heart is functioning. He seems to be doing really well. He is still pink as ever and is active as well. He seems to be comfortable and his heart does not appear to be overworked at this time. This could change at any point, of course, but right now he is stable. Ethan is slowly gaining weight and is learning to drink from a bottle. I get to give him one a day and the rest goes in by feeding tube. I talked to his nurse last night and found out that he peed all over her last night. So much that she needed a new shirt!! I know she was probably annoyed but I thought it was hilarious. It made me feel better since the first time I changed his diaper he did the same to me! I blamed it on my inexperience with changing a boy diaper but he even got the nurse who does it everyday. I was so proud! ; )

I was totally kidding about the swine flu on the last post but now I am a little concerned. Since the "outbreak," Texas Children's Hospital has been swamped. Tonight I walked through the lobby down by the ER and they had set up extra chairs everywhere to handle the huge influx of people there waiting to be seen by a doctor.

Thank you for your prayers. God is good!
Love, Heather

3 comments:

  1. GO ETHAN!!! Way to go boy for peeing on everyone! ; )

    Heather...I'm so proud of you and Bill. I also can't wait to meet these little ones...and see you of course!

    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for Ethan!! Boys like to spray, get used to it ;). Lauren will be back in a "big girl bed" before you know it. Give them squishes for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You completed certain reliable points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will agree with your blog. acim

    ReplyDelete